Do you have upper back or shoulder stiffness? Try some of these home exercises to improve your upper-body mobility and strengthen your shoulders. All you’ll need is a foam roller and a resistance band.
Warm-up and mobility:
- Shoulder and neck mobilizations: 15x each
- Upper-back extension over a foam roller: 3 different spots, 10x *Don’t go into your low back
- Open books: 15x each
- Scapular complex: 10x each
(keep your shoulder blades down and lightly squeezed together throughout each exercise: 3×10 each)
- Side-lying shoulder external rotation: add a towel roll or pillow under your arm (better rotator cuff activation)
- Banded As
- Banded Ws: add a press-up for a challenge
- Banded Ys
- Banded rows
- Cross-body stretch *Keep your shoulder blade engaged downward before you gently pull on your arm. You should feel this in the back of the shoulder.
- Child’s pose *You can use a stability ball, foam roller, or chair to roll into the stretch
Watch Video Demo: